16 October 2006

Rich and Poor Dads

Finished reading Kiyosaki's Rich Dad, Poor Dad; which I have to put Nelson Mandela's Long Walk of freedom on hold for a while. Saki's book remind me of Dal's 'hate' email (written in my blog a few days ago.) She's right when she said, as an employee, we're all spending our time and making money for the employer we served. This is what Kiyosaki called a 'RatRace'. In the book, he want us to break away from this cycle of rat race. Offered a few advice.

I like the part When Dal mentioned how one of her colleague, believe that a certifacate is more important then attending workshops. Maybe her colleague think that it is more marketable, if one move to another company.

If you get a certificate, you only get what you learn in a classroom, learn the theories. However, you don't have real life expereince.

If you attended a workshop, you get the instrctor to simulate the problem, right in front of your eyes, probably you will not understand or understand very little; about the theories, at the moment.

Who should an employer hire? Depends on how much the employer know about the knowldge or expertise of the skill involve.

An Employer can access the candidate by hiring another expert in the field to access the knowledge of the candidate. That's what I did once, for free for one of my friend, looking for an Oracle Forms and Reports.

One should look for a interest group that can both share knowledge and experience together. I think Toastmasters is one of such program.

I wish someone one day can form an Oracle Users Group here.

No comments: