10 October 2006

Sifu will not teach ... the decipel will kill the Sifu!

[ Inspired by Dal 'hate mail' to B, B reluctant to help Dal. ]

I had join both Software house (SH) like Unidata and End User (EU) like Motorola before. I had heard stories, opinions from my IT friends about both SB and EU camps, and here are the differences:

SH :
1. Have more pioneer spirits, like to explore New stuff, R&D.
2. More knowledge sharing among the IT staff.
3. Less Ego, because of No. 2 above.
4. Prefer small to medium company.
5. Business not stable, depends on the other industries, need to get projects from EUs, both govt and private.

EU :
1. Stress More on their 'core' business, like Motorola more on thier chips, (now mobile phone), like DiGi, more on the Telco business.
2. IT projects more sub-contract to SH.
3. Small to huge coporation.
4. Business more stable then SH.
5. Less knowledge sharing among IT. I have not find one big company that have the same camadarie as a SH, please let me know if you find one. I am still looking for this Mecca!
6. Bigger Ego, because everyone want's to climb up the coporate ladder. Join big company, Show BIG name in front of others. ("Do you know my son-in-law is an Engineer with DiGi/ Motorola/ Maybank?")
7. This is from number 5 and 6. The more expereince, the longer the person work in IT, the less he wants to share with you, I found out. Unless you are equally experience as the other, like Haro*. Hali* and Fu.

I did a speech about Kitty Genovese a few weeks ago. Her murder case was use as a case study by professors to study human behavior, why we never help anyone even if we know a friend, neighbour very well? What happen to Alturism?

Why we don't like to share our knowledge with others?

Haro*, Hali* and Fu has these kind of thinking: "If I teach you everything, you had learn everything from me, you are better than me, and the boss will promote you, pay you more instead of me..."

Typical Chinese thinking "The Sifu will not teach you everything, if he does, the decipel will kill the Sifu!"

We want to give because we want to be happy. Sharing Knowledge with others is also an act of kindness. We need happiness, and an act of kindness is one of them, (article from StarMag 08/10/2006 FitForLife Page 8.)

That's why I join Toastmasters! :)

No comments: