27 June 2007

How to drive a car safely using what I learn from public speaking.

I always believe I should learn how to apply what I learn from a subject on to another subject. Main reason is I like to save money and time! No need to spend money and time on Safety Driving.

1. Start Early.
I always encourage my members to prepare their speech early. Same goes to driving a car, especially in Malaysia! The reason is because you got to save a lot of time, where there are less traffic. Less traffic meaning less accidents, of course doesn't mean you have to start speeding! Maintain a reasonable speed.

2. Know your audience.
It's always important to know your audience, how to read their facial expression while you are making a speech.
When you're driving a car, you don't read the driver's facial expression, because their are not facing directly at you! What you can do is to read the reaction of the cars in front of you. This will normally give you a rough idea on how challenging the traffic in front of you.

3. Practise, Practise and Practise!
What do you do if you suddenly cannot say a single word from your speech? What if you have an accident when making a speech or driving a car? A good speaker and a good driver shoule always anticipate what will happen next while drivine the speech or car, that's why you need a lot of practise! Practice you driving skill on the road all the time on not so crowded places. Practice side parking and 'L' parking, whenever possible.

4. Visualising
A good speaker always visualize the entire speech. Where should I pause. How long should I stop. What kind of gestures should I give. Same goes to driving a car. One need to know the route to the destination. What is the condition of the road. Which lane should I keep when I reach this part of the town. Which gear should I turn to when I am negotiating this curve. Should visualize this before you start driving.

No comments: